Showing posts with label Strauss-Kahn. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Strauss-Kahn. Show all posts

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Strauss-Kahn case: Accuser’s call to boyfriend alarmed prosecutors

Image: Former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn

Former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn exits the kitchen of Scalinatella restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan on Friday night. He was released from house arrest earlier in the day.

Twenty-eight hours after a housekeeper at the Sofitel New York said she was sexually assaulted by Dominique Strauss-Kahn, she spoke by phone to a boyfriend in an immigration jail in Arizona.
Investigators with the Manhattan district attorney’s office learned the call had been recorded and had it translated from a “unique dialect of Fulani,” a language from the woman’s native country, Guinea, according to a well-placed law enforcement official.

When the conversation was translated — a job completed only this Wednesday — investigators were alarmed: “She says words to the effect of, ‘Don’t worry, this guy has a lot of money. I know what I’m doing,’ ” the official said.

It was another ground-shifting revelation in a continuing series of troubling statements, fabrications and associations that unraveled the case and upended prosecutors’ view of the woman. Once, in the hours after she said she was attacked on May 14, she’d been a “very pious, devout Muslim woman, shattered by this experience,” the official said — a seemingly ideal witness.

 

Monday, July 4, 2011

Strauss-Kahn free from house arrest; charges stand


Former International Monetary Fund leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn walked out of court free on bail Friday after prosecutors said an extensive background investigation of the hotel housekeeper accusing him of sexual assault gave them pause.

Strauss-Kahn had been under pricey house arrest for weeks in a ritzy Manhattan loft on $6 million in cash and bond. The charges, which include attempted rape, have not been reduced, but the move signals that prosecutors do not believe the accusations are as ironclad as they once seemed.

The 32-year-old hotel maid accused Strauss-Kahn of chasing her through his luxury suite in May, trying to pull down her pantyhose and forcing her to perform oral sex.

"It is a great relief," said Strauss-Kahn's attorney, William Taylor, adding that the case underscores "how easy it is for people to be charged with serious crimes and for there to be a rush to judgment."
"It is so important in this country that people, especially the media, refrain from judgment until the facts are all in," he said.

The accuser's attorney did not back down on the seriousness of the charges.
"From Day One she has described a violent sexual assault that Dominique Strauss-Kahn committed against her," attorney Ken Thompson said.
"She has described that sexual assault many times, to prosecutors and to me, and she has never once changed a single thing about that encounter," he said.

He referred to media reports that his client was involved with a drug dealer, calling them lies.
Strauss-Kahn arrived at the courthouse Friday morning in a Lexus SUV and strode confidently up the granite steps with his wife, French journalist Anne Sinclair, at his side. He wore a dark gray suit, and she a white jacket.

After the hearing, he walked slowly out of the courthouse with his arm on her shoulder, smiling slightly at the throng gathered outside.
His passport remained surrendered, and he will not yet be allowed to leave the country. His other attorney, Benjamin Brafman, said Strauss-Kahn would be free to travel within the United States.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Official: Prosecutors disclose credibility issue to Strauss-Kahn team

 Former IMF chief in court

New York (CNN) -- Prosecutors have discovered troubling believability issues with the woman once called extremely credible in her sexual assault allegations against former International Monetary Fund Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn, an official familiar with the case told CNN late Thursday.
 

Based on these concerns, prosecutors called a meeting Thursday with Strauss-Kahn's defense team to disclose the issues discovered with the hotel housekeeper's allegations, the official said.

The acknowledgment came shortly after an official close to the defense team told CNN there were "serious issues regarding the credibility" of a hotel maid who has accused Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault.
Strauss-Kahn's defense team will ask a judge for bail modifications at a court hearing slated for Friday morning, the official said.

"Prosecutors will not object and, in fact, will ask for a bail reduction," said the official familiar with the case.
NYPD Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne told CNN he had "no comment" on the alleged credibility issue with the witness.

The New York Times, citing unnamed law enforcement officials, reported Thursday on its web site that the case against Strauss-Kahn was on the "verge of collapse as investigators have uncovered major holes in the credibility of the housekeeper."

Strauss-Kahn pleaded not guilty June 6 to seven charges involving a May 14 incident in which a housekeeping employee at New York's Sofitel hotel accused him of sexual assault.

In previous court appearances, the judge said that if Strauss-Kahn wanted to leave the city, he would require the court's permission. Strauss-Kahn, who says he is innocent, was previously required to turn over his French passport and United Nations travel credentials to authorities.

Strauss-Kahn was released from jail on bail but is under house arrest in a luxury townhouse in New York's Tribeca neighborhood.

He is under court-ordered watch as part of the terms of his $6 million bail agreement and must pay for 24-hour armed guards posted at the door, as well as electronic surveillance.
Strauss-Kahn, who was considered a front-runner in France's presidential race before his arrest, faces charges that include criminal sexual acts and sexual abuse.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Papers: Strauss-Kahn claimed to have diplomatic immunity

New York (CNN) -- Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former chief of the International Monetary Fund, at first claimed to have diplomatic immunity when he was taken into custody but later said he was not invoking it, according to a new prosecution document.

Strauss-Kahn told a Port Authority detective, "I have diplomatic immunity," according to a transcript in the document. But four hours later, he told a New York Police officer with the Manhattan Special Victims squad, "No, no, no, I'm not trying to use that. I just want to know if I need a lawyer."

Strauss-Kahn pleaded not guilty June 6 to seven charges involving a May 14 incident in which a housekeeping employee at New York's Sofitel hotel accused him of sexual assault.

The IMF has said Strauss-Kahn would have been entitled to diplomatic immunity only if his alleged crime involved official fund business, which is not the case in this situation.

Strauss-Kahn repeatedly questioned why he was being detained, at one point asking, "What is this about?"
When he was approached by Port Authority officers on an Air France flight at John F. Kennedy International Airport, the first thing he said was, "Do you have my cell phone?" The report shows he called the hotel several times, looking for a phone he thought he left behind.

Later that night, just before 11 p.m., he was asked whether he'd like to speak to detectives about the incident. He responded, "My attorney has told me not to talk. I was ready to talk."

Strauss-Kahn, who was considered a front-runner in France's presidential race before his arrest, faces charges including criminal sexual acts and sexual abuse. His attorney, Ben Brafman, declined to comment on details of the case in a brief statement outside the courtroom after entering the plea.
"We intend to defend this case and defend it vigorously, but we are going to do so in the courtroom," Brafman said, renewing statements that evidence in the case will reveal his client is innocent.

The new court filing indicates that several reports will be forthcoming, including a medical examination of the housekeeping employee, DNA reports, a sexual assault forensic examination, photographs and electronic recordings.

According to New York police, the attack happened soon after the housekeeper entered Strauss-Kahn's suite to clean it.

Strauss-Kahn emerged naked from a room, ran down a hallway, shut a door to prevent the woman from leaving and attacked her, according to police and prosecutors.

According to court documents and prosecutors, Strauss-Kahn grabbed the woman's chest, tried to take off her pantyhose and forcibly grabbed her between her legs.
The criminal complaint against Strauss-Kahn alleges that he forced the woman to engage "in oral sexual conduct and anal sexual conduct" and tried to force her to engage in sexual intercourse.
The next court date for Strauss-Kahn is July 18, according to Erin Duggan of the district attorney's office. No date for a trial has been set, Duggan said.

The alleged victim, who has not returned to work, intends to testify against Strauss-Kahn, said her attorney, Ken Thompson.
"She is going to come into this courthouse, get on that witness stand and tell the world what Dominique Strauss did to her," Thompson said.
He declined to discuss specifics of any possible settlement negotiations with Strauss-Kahn, saying his focus is preserving the good name of his client.

She was described by a former attorney as a 32-year-old single mother living in the New York borough of the Bronx who moved to the United States from the West African country of Guinea.
At the hearing, defense lawyers formally requested that Manhattan prosecutors provide discovery materials: copies of scientific reports as well as police reports and formal statements made by the hotel employee.
Prosecutors have not turned over the information to defense attorneys, Duggan said.
The defense has said that some of that information has already been leaked to the media.
"Our client's right to a fair trial is being compromised by the public disclosure of prejudicial material even before these materials have been disclosed to counsel," Strauss-Kahn's attorneys wrote before the hearing in a letter to the judge.

They said that if they chose to, they could "release substantial information that in our view would seriously undermine the quality of this prosecution and also gravely undermine the credibility of the complainant in this case."
In response, Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon wrote in a letter that the request for the materials would be addressed if the request was made in writing.
Illuzzi-Orbon told the defense she agreed with the need to safeguard information from leaks but was "troubled that you chose to inject into the public record your claim that you possess information that might negatively impact the case and 'gravely' undermine the credibility of the victim."

If the defense does possess such information, it should be forwarded to prosecutors, she said.
Strauss-Kahn was released from jail on bail but is under house arrest in a luxury townhouse in New York's Tribeca neighborhood, according to a source with knowledge of his whereabouts.
He is under court-ordered watch as part of the terms of his $6 million bail agreement and must pay for 24-hour armed guards posted at the door, as well as electronic surveillance.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Dominique Strauss-Kahn bailed for $1m and ordered to face sex trial

Dominique Strauss-Kahn was bailed for $1 million on Thursday night, after agreeing to live under house arrest with his wife at a New York flat, where he will be watched around the clock by an armed guard.

 
Anna Sinclair, wife of Dominique Strauss-Kahn, leaves Manhattan Criminal Court with daughter Camille
Mr Strauss-Kahn secured his release from Rikers Island prison as it was announced a grand jury had voted to have him prosecuted for the alleged sexual attack of a 32-year-old maid in his hotel room.

In a hearing at New York supreme court, Judge Michael Obus said he would allow the 62-year-old former head of the IMF out of jail despite the fact there was a "serious risk" he would try to flee.

He warned Mr Strauss-Kahn, who was arrested at JFK airport on a flight about to take off for Paris, that the consequences would be serious "if there is the slightest problem with your compliance".

Watched by his wife Anne Sinclair, 62, who held the hand of his daughter Camille, 26, Mr Strauss-Kahn showed little sign of emotion as the judge delivered his verdict.

He must move into an apartment in Manhattan rented by his wife, and "will be monitored 24 hours, seven days a week, electronically and by at least one armed guard", the judge said.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

IMF Chief Resigns After Sex Attack Charges

The IMF chief charged with a sex attack on a hotel maid has resigned from his post ahead of a new bail hearing in New York.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn maintained his innocence in a formal letter to the organisation and said he was quitting with "infinite sadness".
"I think at this time first of my wife - whom I love more than anything - of my children, of my family, of my friends," he said.
"I think also of my colleagues at the fund - together we have accomplished such great things over the last three years and more.
"To all, I want to say that I deny with the greatest possible firmness all of the allegations that have been made against me."
The 62-year-old French citizen - who had been a strong contender for the country's presidency in 2012 - added he would devote "all my strength, all my time, and all my energy" to proving his innocence.
Strauss-Kahn handcuffed

Click here to see pictures related to Dominique Strauss-Kahn's arrest
There had been widespread speculation over the future of Strauss-Kahn after he was arrested following the alleged attack at the Sofitel hotel in New York at the weekend.
He faced growing pressure to quit as further claims about his private life emerged – including allegations by writer Tristane Banon that he attempted to rape her in 2002.
He is due at a fresh hearing today, where his lawyers will propose $1m bail – which was earlier refused by a judge – and electronic tagging. He has also waived his extradition rights.
Strauss-Kahn is reportedly on suicide watch at New York's Rikers Island prison, although he is not believed to have attempted to harm himself.
His lawyer, William W Taylor, said on Wednesday that his client's mood was "serious but good".
A view of the Rikers Island prison complex where Dominique Strauss-Kahn, head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), is being held while awaiting another bail hearing on May 17, 2011 in New York City.
Strauss-Kahn is said to be on suicide watch at Rikers Island
"He is a strong man and he's committed to seeing this through," he added.
There had been fears that without a suitable figure at the helm of the IMF, the organisation - designed to maintain stability in the world economy - could be thrown into disarray just as it attempts to tackle the eurozone debt crisis.
Among the possible candidates touted to replace Strauss-Khan is former prime minister Gordon Brown.
The IMF said it would discuss in the near future the process of selecting a new managing director. For now John Lipsky remains the acting chief.
Economics editor at The Independent Sean O'Grady told Sky News he did not think Strauss-Kahn had much choice over the resignation.
"The Americans call a lot of the shots at the IMF and once he lost their support I think it was only a matter of time and so it has been proved," he said.
Strauss-Kahn faces charges of committing a criminal sexual act, attempted rape, sexual abuse, unlawful imprisonment and forcible touching, all of which he denies.
The alleged victim, a 32-year-old widow from West Africa, testified on Wednesday before a grand jury.
It will decide in secret whether there is enough evidence to formally press charges.
A mugshot of Strauss-Kahn taken more than 24 hours after he was pulled from a plane at New York's JFK airport and detained on Saturday, showed him exhausted, his eyes downcast and half-closed.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Strauss-Kahn arrest: IMF head detained at Rikers Island

IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been remanded in custody at New York's notorious Rikers Island jail on charges of sexual assault.
The judge said Mr Strauss-Kahn, 62, was a flight risk. He was arrested on Saturday after boarding a plane and accused of trying to rape a hotel maid.
He faces seven charges and could be sentenced to up to 25 years in prison.
Mr Strauss-Kahn, who had been seen as a favourite in France's 2012 presidential elections, denies the charges.
His lawyer expressed disappointment at bail being denied, but said his client would be exonerated.
"This battle has just begun," defence lawyer Benjamin Brafman told the court.
Mr Strauss-Kahn had been due to attend an EU finance ministers' meeting in Brussels to discuss financial bail-outs.
The IMF has played a central role in organising rescue packages for the troubled economies of Portugal and Greece.
The BBC's Chris Morris in Brussels says the IMF chief has gained the trust of countries in Europe which are giving financial assistance, and those which are receiving it.
The European Union says the scandal should not affect bail-outs for eurozone countries.